Monday, May 4, 2015

Traditional Dances, 101 Degrees, and some Dos and Don'ts about Muslims

Hello,
This week was a good one. It started off like any other week. We had our district meeting and learned about the power of testimony. On Friday we went to Solo for a big stake activity. It was a dance show. Every ward/branch did a different type of traditional dance. The dances were very cool and very traditional haha, there isn't any dances like those in America. Being in Solo was cool, I got to see some members form the Jebres ward that I served in before. I got to see my old investigator Herdik too, he is doing good.

That night though I got sick with a fever and probably only slept about 40 minutes. They next day I still had a fever and I was tired. The next night I slept a little better but still had a fever the whole night and hurt. Then the next day after that was church and I was super cold at church because of the A/C. then after church I think my fever went up more and I was really hot haha. The members here were all really nice to me. One of the gave me a massage, another checked my blood pressure, another one gave me some medicine, and our investigator Andre got me some food and a drink. Then they wanted me to go to the doctor so I went with them and the doctor gave me a shot and some medicine haha I don't remember what was in the shot but I felt better afterwards and right now I feel lots better. I don't enjoy being sick.

Today for P-day we went to Jogja with the mission couple because we had to drop off Elder Zollinger at the hospital there. There is a mall in Jogja that has a Wendy's. I was really happy when I saw that and we bought some Frostys there. It has been a long time since I had a Frosty and they were as good as I remember.

So yesterday at church Hendrik got confirmed a member and got the Gift of the Holy Ghost. He is doing great and will get interview for the priesthood next week.
Andre is doing great. His family already gave him the green light to join the church but there is still a problem he wants taken care of before he is baptized, so hopefully it gets resolved soon.

So to answer your question Dad about Muslims, it is against the law to actively approach a Muslim and try to convert or teach them about Christianity. This is why we can't go knocking on doors and why proselyting is tricky. We have to be more creative about how we do it. If they ever ask us what we are doing, or why we are wearing white shirts and ties, or why is an American here in Magelang. Then we can talk to them about the church and why we are hear, but they have to be the ones who start it. If they are interested then you are fine to teach them and baptize them, you just have to make sure they are not going to have any family problems if they want to join the church. If the people we talk to are not interested in hearing what we have to say even a little bit, and they are Muslim, then we have to be respectful and let them be, because we don't want any trouble.

Alright well have an awesome week! I can't wait to Skype my family on Mother's day!

- Elder Hymas



1 comment:

  1. There's nothing quite like getting a shot in a foreign country when you're not quite sure exactly WHAT it is that they're shooting into you! Glad you're feeling better!
    Gotta LOVE them Frosties!

    ReplyDelete